NVHC Cares is our communal program which recognizes the communal responsibility of connecting with and caring for one another as we fulfill the mitzvah of G’milut Chasadim – performing acts of loving kindness. We strive to provide acknowledgment of joyful beginnings, solace and support through difficult times, building and nourishing a network of relationships which can sustain us throughout the journey of our lives.
NVHC Cares assists and support our members by offering:
- NVHC Rides provides rides for congregants who need help getting to and from NVHC events. Click here to learn more and to sign up to give rides.
Friendly phone calls
- We provide support for congregants who are experiencing illness or bereavement in their lives. These calls are expressions of concern and care, and provide comfort from the community.
Caring cards and notes
- We send cards to provide support for congregants who are experiencing illness or bereavement, or to express congratulations upon a birth or adoption.
Visits at home or in the hospital
- The (‘friends’) network are a cadre of people who have trained with Cantor Caro to be able to make ‘friendly visits’ to those of our members who are in need. We are here to help care for them, listen compassionately, and remind them that they are a valued part of our community.
Mitzvahmeals for the ill or bereaved
- We provide a to those who are bereaved and to families who have experienced the birth or adoption of a child, in order for them to know that in their lifecycle moment, we wish them a meaningful experience of Shabbat from our community.
- We strive to prepare or purchase and deliver meals as able, to provide support for congregants who are experiencing illness, treatment, or recovery from surgery.
Shiva minyan in your home
- Following the death of a loved one, one of our clergy or a member of our congregation will come to your home to lead services so that you can say Kaddish for your loved one and be surrounded by your friends, family, and our community at your time of loss.
The NVHC Cares team step into action upon communication from the NVHC clergy or Caring team leader. Volunteers do not act on behalf of NVHC Cares without specific instruction and guidelines from the clergy or team leader. All information an NVHC Cares member learns about a member’s health or personal situation will always be kept strictly confidential.